Saturday, June 24, 2023

Nintendo Direct: May The Games Be With You


Image credit: https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/09/22/a-september-nintendo-direct-has-been-announced-for-tomorrow


The Nintendo Direct premiered on June 21st, 2023, and with it brought many new games to be released in the future. The Nintendo Direct has always been a fun event, and this one was chock full of interesting and memorable looking games. 

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet is releasing The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero DLC. The first part takes place in a rural looking area with a heavy influence on Japanese culture, while the second part takes place in a futuristic area. Both parts look intriguing, but not much is known yet about what all the DLC entails. Further details will be given in the future.

Palia is a free to play game that has a cute and relaxed look to it. The game looks like it’ll be a farming sim, full of quality of life mechanics. It looks fun, and is definitely my cup of tea.  

Persona 5 Tactica is another installment in the Persona series. It has a cute chibi style to the game, and looks to be a spinoff on the popular series. It’s a tactical RPG game where strategy appears to be the main focus. I have always been a fan of the Persona series, and I’m looking forward to the new game. 

The new installment of Detective Pikachu is coming to the Nintendo Switch. I remember playing the first game on the 3DS and I loved it. If Detective Pikachu Returns is anything like the first game, it will be full of funny quips and fun gameplay. I, for one am looking forward to it. 

Mario has always been a big franchise for Nintendo, and this Nintendo Direct showcased not one, but five Mario games. Super Mario RPG is a remake from the classic SNES version. I never personally got to play the game, but I always wanted to. With the Nintendo Switch version coming out, I will definitely be playing it when it releases. They also announced a game starring Princess Peach, and when first seeing it, I wondered if it would be similar to the game on the Nintendo DS. Luigi is also getting the spotlight with Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon, a remake of the 3DS version. Nintendo also announced wave 5 DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, it has new courses and new playable characters such as Petey Piranha, Wiggler, and Kamek. It looks like it’ll bring more to the already hefty DLC game The DLC can be purchased individually or it can be played with a Nintendo Online Expansion pass for $50 a year. Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks like a surreal game when you touch a wonder flower. Anything can happen, such as the landscape changing, or Mario turning into an elephant. The game looks unique and I may be picking it up when it releases. 

Another game I thought looked good was Dragon Quest Monsters The Dark Prince. You can capture monsters, much like Pokemon, and I am interested in seeing where the game takes us. Dragon Quest has always been a fun game series in my opinion, and I can hardly wait for it to be released. 

I have never played Pikmin, but with the first, second and fourth games releasing I am more than willing to give them all a try. The game looks cute, and precious. The Pikmin are these cute plant like creatures, and in the fourth game you are allowed to play at night. This seems like a good feature to add to the game, but it comes with a dangerous cost. There are strong enemies that will try to thwart your plans. Their eyes become red, and they seem to be in a frenzied mode that only the glow Pikmin can defeat. The glow Pikmin only appear at night, which seems to be an interesting way to use the Pikmin in a different way. 

Star Ocean The Second Story R looks like it’ll feature a ton of content. You can choose between Claude or Rena to play through the main story. The battles take place in real time, and the art style looks stunning. This fantasy RPG looks promising. I will be waiting with bated breath for the game to release.

Warioware has a new game coming, and I nearly squealed when I saw it showcased on the Nintendo Direct. I am a huge fan of the Warioware games. I played the GBA Warioware when I was a kid, and I fell in love with the simple story telling and the vast amount of micro games it had to offer. In this game, you will use the joycons to play the game. It looks like moving your entire body will be necessary. From shaking your entire body to moving your arms up and down, there will be over 200 micro games to enjoy. I am already looking forward to playing this new installment. 

The Nintendo Direct this month was amazing. As an avid gamer, I am looking forward to the games I mentioned above. From the Pokemon DLC to Warioware, there are many games to keep people occupied for a long time. If Pokemon isn’t your thing, maybe the Mario games will keep you entertained. The amazing thing about gaming is there are so many different genres and games keep your mind agile for years to come. I am and will always be a gamer whom enjoys playing any game that strikes my fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment